August 2014 | Creating vibrant, peaceful communities around the world
Millions of individuals and organizations will mark the International Day of Peace on 21 September by creating practical acts of peace, advocating for peace, and building public awareness. Here are five ways you can commemorate the annual day of global ceasefire and nonviolence:
- Engage co-workers, students, and your community in Peace Day events. Check out The Pocket Book of Peace and International Day of Peacewebsites.
- Watch the inspiring Ted talk by Peace One Day founder Jeremy Gilley.
- Organize friends, co-workers, or your community to observe one minute of silence at noon local time on 21 September, uniting in solidarity with millions around the world.
- Learn about the important work of these peace groups: Rotarian Action Group for Peace, Peace Direct, Alliance for Peacebuilding, Peace and Collaborative Development Network, Desmond Tutu Peace Foundation, Institute for Economics and Peace.
- Share photos of, or thoughts about, your peace work and your plan for commemorating Peace Day on the Rotary Peace Centers Facebook page; use hashtags #Peaceday and #Rotarypeace.
[resource: RI newsletter "Peace in Action]